The Surreal Life #2

Sometimes we forget how random life really is. We hide in the comfort of our routines, but life incessantly points out that, despite our best efforts, stuff just happens.

Traffic started slowing as I came over the hill. Ahead I could see a spill of liquid - gasoline or coolant - and some debris in the lane ahead. It looked like shards of dark plastic. Cars maneuvered slowly around it, and I scanned the pavement for glass or metal that could cause damage.

Just about that time I noticed there weren't any damaged cars pulled over on the shoulder. No CHP units, or people exchanging information. And the spilled liquid looked to be nothing more than water.

Then some of the debris moved.

I looked down and saw several fish, about 6 inches long, flopping on the pavement. There was a circle of wet pavement about 6 feet across, with a dozen fish scattered around it. I skirted around them and traffic began to clear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About a Mouse

To See a Heaven in a Wild Flower

The Borderlands